In 2022, there were 268 million digital buyers in the United States. That number is only predicted to rise over the coming years, meaning the emergence and evolution of e-commerce is here to stay.
As more and more consumers turn to online shopping, the demand for fast and reliable shipping has become increasingly important. Big players like Amazon have made free 2-day shipping a household idea, and in doing so, changed the relationship of e-commerce businesses with their customers.
Not having the scale of an internet behemoth can make meeting these demands for fast and efficient shipping a challenge. But with the right approach, you can provide your customers with the expedited shipping options they’re looking for, while also boosting customer satisfaction and loyalty.
At Expedite Delivery System we understand the importance of expedited shipping for e-commerce businesses. With years of experience in the industry, we’ve helped countless businesses meet the needs of their online customers by offering a range of fast and reliable shipping options.
Today we’re outlining the main ways shipping speed affects your customers, and the real ways it can impact your business.
Why Shipping Speed Matters Important For Online Sellers
While many customers may understand that free 2-day shipping isn’t always possible, it’s true that shipping speed has come to dictate much of the online and e-commerce business world.
This is true because in most cases, faster shipping leads to positive impacts, including:
- Higher customer satisfaction – Customers expect to receive their orders as quickly as possible, and fast shipping can make a big difference in their overall satisfaction with your business
- More sales – Customers are more likely to make a purchase when they know they can receive their order quickly.
- Stand out from the competition – In today’s crowded e-commerce market, fast shipping can be a key differentiator for your business (especially when you’re competing with the giants like Amazon). By offering expedited shipping options, you can set yourself apart from competitors who only offer standard shipping speeds
- Higher customer loyalty – When customers have a positive experience with your business, including fast and reliable shipping, they’re more likely to become loyal customers who will continue to shop with you in the future
How Shipping Speed Affects Online Customers Buying Decisions
Shipping speed can have a number of impacts on how customers interact with your business.
For one, it can impact purchase urgency. As many of us have experienced, we tend to be more likely to make a purchase if we know we’ll get it quickly. This is especially true for time-sensitive purchases, such as gifts or event tickets, where fast shipping can be a deciding factor.
It can also play with our sense of the good’s value. Fast shipping can also create a sense of excitement and anticipation, enhancing the overall customer experience.
In addition to these broader ideas, a recent survey by UPS found specific instances of how shipping speed impacted shoppers’ decision making.
- 58% – shoppers that have abandoned cart due to lengthy delivery time or no delivery date given
- 43% – shoppers say that products being delivered late decreases likelihood of shopping with or buying from retailer in the future
Furthermore, shipping speed qualifies as the 4th most important quality for shoppers, only after detailed product information (they need to know what they’re buying!), retailer reputation (who they’re buying from!), and product selection.
How Expedite Delivery System Can Help You Meet Your Customers’ Demands
At Expedite Delivery Service, we are here to support e-commerce businesses looking to improve their shipping speed and boost their returns on investment.
By choosing our fast and reliable shipping options – including custom, same-day delivery solutions if need be – you’ll gain more control over the delivery process, allowing you to provide your customers with the speed and efficiency they demand.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you achieve your shipping goals.